Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A word from l'Autre Jonathan




Josh was my first scientific mentor, and quickly became a good friend as well. We always had a lot of fun in the lab - brainstorming late into the night, and dinners that sometimes went even later. Josh never seemed to tire. Once nearly the whole lab spent a few days and nights working on a grant renewal, taking turns dozing in the dark room, and then getting up to keep writing, editing, plotting graphs and so forth. When it ended (finally!!), the whole group went out to dinner at a Ukrainian restaurant/nightclub in Brighton Beach. The only time during that experience when Josh lost his patience was when I suggested that we let the waiter select a variety of dishes from the menu so we would not have to think about what to order: Josh looked at me as if I had lost my mind, and said, 'Jon, I can't believe it - this is the first time I ever remember you making a decision out of sheer laziness'.  I never made that suggestion again when we went out to eat together. And we did eat together as often as we could:  at the annual vision science society meeting, we had an annual "Blur and Brainstorming Dinner". The topics changed over the years but the tradition kept going.

Just recently (October, 2011), Josh and Valerie came out to San Francisco for my wedding. It meant a lot to me and my wife that they came, and that they both seemed so happy to be travelling together and seeing friends. That is where these photos are from - the Aquarium at Fisherman's Wharf. My wife, who only met Josh on a handful of occasions, took such an immediate liking to him that she almost asked him to officiate our wedding.  

I think that Josh's warmth and curiosity and respect for others shone through in this way for so many people. We are saddened by the loss, but at the same time happy that Josh was part of our lives, and happy that Josh and Valerie found happiness together. 

l'Autre Jonathan

(Jonathan Winawer)

No comments:

Post a Comment