Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I met Josh when he served as professor for our first year graduate neuroscience course. Then I took the course as an elective through another degree program. The class was fascinating and Josh demonstrated the patience to indulge our many questions, however naive, with honesty and fairness. I did not do well on one of the early tests and asked what I did wrong. He responded, "you need to learn this material like a neuroscientist." That made me realize that I should be focusing on this subject I realized I found so interesting. I ended up transferring into the neuroscience PhD program. Though I had the good fortune to attend Josh's lectures in many other courses he also served as a sort of unofficial mentor - someone to turn to for an honest answer or novel perspective when not sure who to ask. 8 years later after that first course I am still enjoying a career learning about the infinite mysteries of the brain. Josh was iconic and a bastion of integrity. He was one of those personalities you carry with you in your heart in hopes you can in some humble way attempt to resemble them.

Thomas Radman

No comments:

Post a Comment