Thursday, March 8, 2012

All that Jazz

I met Josh as an undergraduate in the psychology program at City College. The rest, as they say, was history. There are two memories that stick with me more than anything else.

The first one was when Mark, he, and I were sitting around the lab table discussing a series of eye movement experiments. We had been sitting in silence for what seemed like years when all of sudden he and I--almost simultaneously--each burst out with an idea about where to go next with the experiments. It was then that I saw the sparkle in Josh's eye that I would come to know so well. I'll never forget that moment.

When I first started working in Josh's lab I would brag to the uninitiated, touting Josh to be the prototypical scientist. I would say, "If you knew him, then when someone said 'scientist', this man would come to your mind." I challenged others to show me someone who had more scientific integrity and more love of his or her craft than Josh. I don't think such a person exists.

The second was the mix of delight and surprise I remember feeling when at one of his (in)famous parties in upstate New York, he told me that I had just eaten some beef heart. Josh certainly knew his food and consequently opened up my palette. I also came to find out later that he and I shared a love of jazz and other types of eclectic music.

Josh, you will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment