Sunday, March 11, 2012

Wonderful memories of Josh's life


I regret not being able to make it to the memorial- I was presenting a paper at a professional meeting and I know Josh would want me to honor this commitment. I am extremely sad about Josh's stuggle but I have wonderful memories about his life. My childhood memories of Josh include his close alliance with my father Lou, his uncle, and the laughter they shared. I remember seeing my dad and Josh sitting on crates outside the First Avenue store watching the world go by and talking about the issues of the day.  I also remember my uncle Frank's pride about his son' successes and Frank's deep love for both of his boys.  My memories of Josh as an adult, like most of the other posts, include lots of intense talk, food, and laughter.  Josh enjoyed life and was always so open about finding time to share with his circle of friends and family.  When my three sons were adolescents Josh always opened his home to them for their trips to the big city and each of them came back with an appreciation of his openness  and intelligence.  Josh was a joy to be around and I especially cherish the time I spent with him when I was on sabbatical in NYC during the winter of 2000. He came to one of my talks at Columbia Presbyterian and I remember his thoughtful comments. It was very special to have a cousin with intersecting interests.

Fondly,  
Suzanne McDermott

No comments:

Post a Comment