Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A remembrance from Toronto


I am old friend of Josh's (both in age and time:). I first met Josh when he was a postdoctoral fellow and I was a graduate student at IAB, around 1971.

Josh and Alison Fleming
New York, Autumn of 2011
I am broken hearted about Josh.  I have known Josh for over 42 years but we became good friends in 1974 when he and my husband (at the time) and I went on my (our) honeymoon together, to mexico and Guatemala. We had a magnificent time and became a comfy trio. We were all sorry when the honeymoon ended :):)

But since that time, Josh and I met up at least once a year and exchanged many thoughts, about science, about our lives, about Life itself...and only occasionally about Death, but even there he had his particular twist on it, as he did on most things. Although I didnt see that much of Josh in past years except at sfn, when we were in contact it was like not a minute had passed....and we laughed a great deal and 'joshed' and exchanged rude remarks and insults just like we did when we were 25 years old-.  I always felt-as I am sure many did..(he had that way about him)- that we were made of the same stuff but  that he saw complexity and depth where I didnt mind the surfaces (we didn't always agree on interpretations of things but I enjoyed the duel!)

As I am sure many do, I  loved him very much and already miss him tremendously. 

My only other immediate thought is that I am so very happy for them both that Josh met Valerie. His happiness was palpable.

Alison Fleming
Toronto, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment