Sunday, March 11, 2012

I worked in Josh's lab in the late 90s


I was lucky enough to have spent a few years working in Josh’s lab in the late 90’s.
For me it was rich and rewarding experience, full of great memories with Josh, the semi-wild man from the south Jim Mertz, the ever suave Jonathan Winawer, the diligent Chea-su Kee and all the other terrific people who frequented the lab.

I will always remember the day Josh bought an espresso maker.  We all had a go making espressos for everyone else so we could work out the best way to use it.  After 5 or
6 espresso shots within about 10 minutes I went to measure a few chicken and experienced an anxiety attack.  While I was quietly melting down not really knowing what was happening (I was not a coffee devotee at this point) Josh came flying by, unable to stand still, sweating and said “wow I’m really flying after all those coffees”.  I still smile when I think of it and it seems like it was yesterday, perhaps my coffee induced panic burnt it into long term memory.

I learnt many things from Josh, like a love for fine and unusual food, but it wasn’t until years later I realised what the most profound lesson was.  Josh’s integrity, openness and deep passion for the work he loved seeped into my sole and inspires me for the better every day.  It will be to my lasting regret that I never thanked Josh for the lasting and positive influence he had on me, both as a person and a scientist. I just hope that ‘satisfaction for a job well done’ was behind at least part of Josh’s smile whenever we met in later years.

Josh, it is a testimony to your character that you left so many loving friends behind.  I will miss you and the world is a much less interesting place without you.

Until we meet again, perhaps in the restaurant at the end of the universe where I’m sure you’ll have built your new lab.

Marcus Howlett.
Amsterdam

No comments:

Post a Comment