Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Funny, irreverent, brilliant, compassionate….


Funny beyond any adjective I know, irreverent beyond any series of adjectives and adverbs I know, brilliant, interesting, captivating with his stories, Josh was a very special man.  We agreed on little politically, but laughed a lot and became great friends.
 
I can't remember precisely when I first met Josh, but it was through common friend Phil who has a wonderful gift of assembling interesting individuals in interesting places—with Andrea and Phil creating an environment that permits each to be his/her own self and there being some immediate familiarity attributable to Phil’s introductions, the board games, the talk, the wine, the roaring fire in the fireplace. 

I remember several things that are “signature Josh” for me.   His posture was unique in the way he stood, and reversed his hands on his hips, leaned back somewhat and then he’d gently rock while speaking. . . I told him he’d not be so unstable if he bought some real shoes rather than the curious assortment of sandals and other craftsman clogs he preferred.  He’d stroke his beard and share a totally infectious laugh amidst the conversation in which he often irreverently participated and which I was delighted to suggest made no sense whatsoever to me which delighted him even more. 

Part of our ongoing banter was for me to pick and poke at the relevance of his research—on several occasions I sent him Easter Peeps through the mail to ensure he had sufficient chicken eyes upon which to work for his research, which I accused him of “dry-labbing”.

What is most memorable is that Josh was kind and gentle, demonstrated genuine interest in the friends assembled, and he was compassionate.  His passing reminds me that we often wait until it’s too late to share our thoughts with the individual we choose to discuss after they have departed.  I now wish I’d reached out to Josh when Phil and Andrea told me at Christmas about his health challenges.  But Josh, what you must know is that that conversation and realization is what’s made it easier for me to ask the wife of another friend struggling with cancer to tell her husband that I love him and admire him.

Josh, I cherished our time together, I regret it was not more, but I am certainly richer for knowing you.  I am pleased this coming summer there will be three who will continue the tradition you helped begin, and I am certain that you’ll be there too, rocking with hands on hips awaiting yet another evening of fellowship and fine wine where politics become very secondary to what’s most important.  I think those three will spend considerable time reflecting upon your friendship with them.  

I too think of you. . . as the Easter candy is on display and the Peeps are everywhere! 

Godspeed, and with love, Stryker

Stryker Warren
Minneapolis, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment